4/16/2022

Five Years at Fix This! Stringed Instrument Repair - Michael Allen

Michael Allen is a one-man band at his small shop in downtown Chesapeake, Ohio where he is currently celebrating the 5th anniversary since opening Fix This! Stringed Instrument Repair.
"I had done instrument repair for about 35 years," Allen said, recalling his decision to open his own shop five years ago, explaining he began repairing instruments for Pied Piper when he returned home from a stint in Colorado, and later did similar work for Mack & Dave's and Rt. 60 Music.

"It took me a while to get to where I could take care of this business," he said, noting he once spent much time as a caretaker for his parents.

He admits the decision to open a shop of his own was initially quite daunting.
"It was very scary ... quitting my job working for local music stores," he said, soon comparing the experience to "diving into a pool without seeing the bottom. It was a leap of faith." 

Music has been an important part of Allen's life since he was young, initially inspired by The Beatles' performance on The Ed Sullivan Show.

"I relentlessly begged my parents for a guitar," he said, grinning at the memory. His efforts were eventually rewarded with an acoustic guitar manufactured by the Kay corporation.

"I played that acoustic for about a year and I wanted an electric guitar. My parents made me earn it for myself. I mowed lawns and delivered papers ... whatever it took," he said, adding he found "just some import off brand" guitar, which was teamed with a $25 Gretsch amp his father found for him.

"My first 'good' guitar was a Gibson SG," he said, later explaining that guitar's intonation problems and other issues were likely responsible for his earliest interests in stringed-instrument repair and adjustment.

"I started repairs messing around with my own guitars. That first SG had tuning issues, so I learned about intonation and tuners and things like that," he said, later citing his education began with a single printed book, Complete Guitar Repair, by Hideo Kamimoto.


Allen has seen nearly every imaginable instrument repair job during his decades at the work bench, although he said there was one job which will always stay with him.

"I was still with Rt. 60 Music and a guy brought in a hollow-body, double neck - homemade from wood he probably got at the local hardware store. It had no (internal) bracing so the string tension caused the top to warp. The guitar was so thin I had to make tools from coat hangers to work on it. I wish I had a picture of it," he said, adding several other people had already declined to work on the homemade instrument.
Allen said he likely most enjoys working on wiring and pickups. "I enjoy just about everything I do, other than finish work."

The "one man band" aspect of Fix This! Stringed Instrument Repair was a conscious decision.

"I have no desire to have employees, and that was the plan when I opened this shop," he said.
While often associated with Gibson guitars, such as this Flying V with a Bigbsy tailpiece, Allen spent many years splitting his attention between a Fender Telecaster and a Fender Stratocaster. These days he tends to wield a Telecaster he built himself, or a Gibson ES-335 or Les Paul.

As an accomplished guitarist, Allen said he currently enjoys performing with several area artists and bands including Barry Frazee (as a duo and part of a full band), as well as Blue Sky "which is a four piece that is kind of all over the place with twin lead guitars," as well as playing with other musicians including Kelly and Julie Davis.

"I'm just kind of the all-call guy," he said with a laugh.

Fix This! Stringed Instrument Repair offers services for electric and acoustic guitars, basses, mandolins, banjos, violins, dulcimers "and more" is located at 417 3rd Avenue, Chesapeake, OH (45619). For more information, visit the shop's Facebook page or call 740-867-8677.

Story by TIM PRESTON 
Carter County Post