11/15/2021

Becky Walker Retires - "I was blessed to have this job for almost 30 years."


Becky Walker had only been on the job at East Carter High School for six months when tragedy happened.

"What's it called? Baptism by fire?" Walker said during a recent interview following her official retirement as Coordinator of the Youth Services Center for ECHS and East Carter Middle School.

Rural Roots

Walker was born and raised in the small community of Sandy Plains in Polk County, North Carolina.

"We did have a barbershop," she joked, explaining she enrolled to study English and Journalism at Berea University after graduating from high school.

"After Berea, I worked for several local newspapers in Greenup, R.owan and Carter County," she said. "Eventually I saw a classified ad for a job - Coordinator for the new Youth Services Center for East Carter Middle School and East Carter High School."

It was the first-such center in Carter County. "We worked to remove the gaps between school, family and community. We worked to provide basic needs like food and clothing. We also provided access to tutors and referals to community agencies and programs for everything from counseling to utility assistance."

Retired, but not finished

Walker no longer punches a clock, although she does plan to remain active with at least a few of the community-based organizations she has enjoyed working with in the past. With obvious admiration, she cites the efforts and support of "people with generous hearts" for the success of programs including the Carter County Senior Center, Carter County Relay For Life, and the Carter County Salvation Army Service Unit, which she continues to serve as board chairman. She also plans to remain active as a member of the planning board for the local child-abuse prevention committee, and the Carter County Drug Free Coalition.

Free Time

For fun, Walker said she enjoys time with family as well as fellowship, volunteer outreach and events at Gregoryville Christian Church.

"I enjoy helping with my Great-Great nephew and niece  (Luca, 3, and Myla, nine months). They are fun to spend time with," she said, explaining Luca and Myla's dad, Tyler Walker, is a math teacher and soccer coach at ECMS and ECHS, and coached the high school's ladies soccer team to become 16th Regional Champions this year. 

"So, I've been spending a lot of time at the soccer fields," she said with a chuckle. 

Retirement - "For me, it felt right."

"Aging and health are really the reasons I'm retriring," Walker said, explaining she is in relatively good condition except for fybromyalgia "and some back problems."  

"I turned 65 one week after I retired. I don't think everyone. needs to retire at 65, but for me it felt right."

"I am really going to miss the kids. After the first of th year I hope the new coordinator will let me volunteer," she continued. "Leaving this job hasn't all been easy. But, I feel really good about the person who has been hired to replace me and I ask the community to treat her as nicely as they did me."

While the majority of her days at ECMS and ECHS were filled with challenges and rewards, Walker said she faced her toughest times six months after first reporting for duty when two people were killed in a school shooting at the high school. In addition to working with the students and their families, Walker's experience as a local journalist put her first in line to deal with the media.

She was later called as a witness in the case, and faced questions about why she was not able to intercept the gunman before the incident. Shaking her head at the memories, Walker shifted to talking about how much she enjoyed watching local students grow up and graduate.

"I met a lot of great people - teachers and staff that I worked with and families and kids I worked with. I was blessed to have this job for almost 30 years."

She also expressed her appreciation for the people who originally decided to hire her at ECHS and ECMS.

"When I was hired, I was unqualified. And, I thank them for giving me the opportunity to do the work I've done in the community."

Story & Photo by TIM PRESTON 
Carter County Post





"