10/31/2021

Billy Wurts - A Hard-Working Man and A Life Well Lived

 

An obituary alone is rarely enough to tell the story of a person's life. This is especially true of Webbville's Bill Wurts, who passed away last week at the age of 83.In the official notice of Wurts' passing, it is noted that he was a janitor. Family, friends and fans of the man, however, know he served many other roles and lived a life they will continue to look up to.

His son, Billy "BJ" Wurts Jr. wrote, "Bill knew what hard work was all his life. As a little boy he was a farm hand on the neighboring farms.

"As he got older, he did everything from delivering a mail route on foot 8 miles and then walking all the way back, working on forest fires, driving a coal truck, hauling logs, clearing brush, working in sawmills, and one of his favorite jobs was keeping watch in the old fire towers.

The last 25 years that he worked, he was a janitor for People Helping People Bingo. He finally "retired" at the age of 75, so he could spend more time tilling a garden and finding his own yard work to do. Bill just couldn't quit working and sit around and do nothing!

Hunting squirrel: taught himself to work on shot guns; walking in the woods for miles and miles; listening to Grand Ol Opry and Reds games; doing yard work; having a garden ... He made his own hand mowers without even taking measurements, all by sight."

(Click photos to enlarge)

Kirby Knuckles - "I played many years with Bill. Many years ago at a place called Rockdale Jamboree on Shopes Creek in Boyd County - featured many famous stars with lots of great local talent every Saturday night.

One year Bill played a guitar picking contest. The fretboard came off of it and he taped it back on and continued the contest that he won that night.

One person he played against was Ricky Skaggs Bill was that good. His main instrument was a banjo which later gave him an edge in playing the rolling style ginger picking it took to play like He did. Played everything by ear. Merle Travis/Chet Atkins style playing.

He was also a volunteer fire fighter for Blaine/Louisa area. Some nights at Coalton Jubilee he would come straight from fighting forest fires and get on stage with hand blackened and bleeding and played all night with no complaints with a huge smile on his face.

He was one of the most kind and humble souls I ever met."

A letter of appreciation from granddaughter, Audrey, age 11.

Twinkee Smith - "He played at the Coalton Country Jubilee in Cannonsburg for several years as the lead guitar player and singer.

We were married there in 1981 (don’t know if you want that info), (on Valentine’s Day 1981).

We met and married at the Jubilee, were married there. Performed there as a couple, and had BJ, who was his greatest joy.

He taught himself to play guitar, banjo and wrote many songs.

Worked as a coal truck driver, forest ranger and also had several offers to go on the road with bands including Waylon Jennings band. Loved the outdoors, and had a gift of tremendous knowledge of tree species, finding ginseng, etc."

Video of Bill Wurts performing with Dennie Crisp and Rodney Crisp "in 2016 or 2017."

Christina Wurts - He worked for the Lawrence County forestry department around the late 50s-60s. Before that he took over his step grandfathers walking mail route going through tadpole and Chapman etc.

He went to George’s creek school through 7th grade. He was a regular and well known musician who played with the likes of Loretta Lynn, Jimmy Dixon, and so many legends I wouldn’t know where to start including winning a competition against Ricky Skaggs when he was only a young man.

He was in Doc Turners band (Lorretta Lynn’s doctor), I believe Cherryville pickers (somewhere down near Prestonsburg), he played with Dennie Crisp, and was also a regular at the Coalton Country Music Jubilee in Coalton.

His cousins were Kim and John Jenkins. He worked at the People helping people Bingo hall in Coalton for over 25 years with John and Leo Tackett. He was well known at the Hillbilly Flea market. There is so many things I could and should list but I don’t know all of it ... 

What can’t I say about Bill? A lot more than I thought but let’s just stick to the facts. I met Bill for the first time in the early winter of 2014. It was a cold day and there was snowflakes falling. I got a picture of the moment because even then I knew it was a special moment. He was getting ready for another evening at the People Helping People Bingo Hall in Coalton. He told me of how he had a special way of parking everyone In order to fit everyone in because there was always a large crowd. Audrey and Storm (Bj’s dog) was with us in the truck.

BJ was always telling me about his dad. They are very close! He was always doing something with him on his time off, especially going out and enjoying a meal. It wasn’t long after we spent our first Thanksgiving together at my mother’s house. My Papa came and they just really hit it off! One thing is for sure, they just aren’t made like them anymore. Definitely made from a different cloth of a different time. It would only be one of two times they would meet. However, I learned about Bill that day. The work he had done. The area he had came from in Tadpole. They had lots to talk about and they made a lot of use out of the day eating and talking.

We all moved in together when Bj bought a house in Olive Hill in early 2015. It was at this point in time Bill retired from the bingo hall and was suppose to take a break and get some much deserved and needed rest. But nope not Bill! The man was like the Energizer Bunny and one who liked to work at that. There were very few times in our time of knowing each other that he wasn’t doing something. If he was able he was working. If there was no work he’d find something. And oh my goodness if it was raining he’s let you know how aggravated he was not to be outside working doing something.

He always had some kind of tool in his hand. One he made of course! And if he had to buy a tool or machine from the store you best believe he’d done figured out a way to make it better (all while telling you that he didn’t understand why it wasn’t made that way anyways). 

He was a genius when it came to a lot of things whether it was working with his hands, playing the guitar, writing poems and songs, telling us girls about the trees, what the weather was going to be, finding and digging artesian wells, anything to do with the forest and animals, and so many other things.

Bill officially became my father-in-law November 2, 2015 but he meant so much more to me and the girls than just some law title. He was the real deal and he treated us as such. By this time we gained the title but he had long accepted us into his family. He treated me like his daughter and the girls were his granddaughters. Open arms never making us question his love for us.

He taught us so many things when it came to gardening and working outside. Like I said before he was a worker! It was really hard on him when his legs started giving out. But that’s neither here nor there.

I received a phone call last night from a very close family friend of his thanking me for being so good to Bill. At first I was appalled but it really touched my heart when she said having me and the girls in his life brought a different light into his life that they’d never seen and us girls were all he could ever talk about when they spoke.

He loved his son more than words could ever explain and he loved his family.

I am going to miss this man! I am going to miss working outside with him, making him breakfast and eating our meals together. I’m going to miss his stories. But most importantly I’m going to miss his no strings attached wholesome love. There ain’t no one in this world like him. Humble isn’t even a strong enough word to describe this gentle giant of a man. Larger than life and we were lucky to call him ours!

My husband and I will obviously carry him with us for the rest of our lives but in more ways than one would think. When we got married Bill gave us used guitar strings from his personal collection in which I made our wedding rings with. He is every part of what makes us….us.


Dewey Frye One of the best old style country guitar players I ever knew. 

Back when I was a kid just learning to play country, Bill and I played with Dennie & Phyllis Crisp's Band. Bill was amazing to watch and he also sang and wrote some original tunes. 

Country as corn bread in all the good ways. He used to tell me stories when he worked for the forestry department down in the Paintsville or Prestonsburg area where he would climb up in the fire tower, observation platform and play his guitar all day as he watched for any smoke of fires in the woods. I guess that's how he got so good. 

I always knew him as a very humble man and a good friend for a lot of years. Rest in Peace my friend.
Bill Wurts performing an acoustic thumb-and-finger picking style rendition of Mr. Sandman.

Robert EbelingWas a wonderful step father that treated me as his own. 

Worked very hard and was always there for anyone. Could play a mean guitar and sing as well. Never had a bad word to say about anyone and always put others first. 

He will be greatly missed.
We'll just call this one "What's a bitin' me?" Check out the right-hand work in the beginning!

Barbara Ratcliff - I knew Bill Wurts since about 1978.

He was very humble man, with a heart of gold. To know him was to love him.
Bill was kind of shy, pure country. Very talented.
He loved to come to my house on Sundays to eat cornbread and molasses.

Bill loved music, that was his passion, I guess you could say his release. After a hard day he played his best. He grabbed that guitar and squeezed the life out if it.
People would ask him to play something and he would say can you sing a little of it and he would just take off playing like he had known it all along.
He would tell me he was coming to my house on Sunday and he would say, "We'll cut a punkin."

Adrianna Hall, 13His strengths: strong willed, nice, smart, a helper.

He was a great man and he had great stories to tell. They almost always made me laugh! 

I’ll miss him but I’m not the only one. My family, our family, his friends, all of us will miss him dearly. I’m trying to find a way to put how I feel into words, but out of the 171,476 words in the English language, none can comprehend/seem quite right. 

But we all know how I feel and how/what I’m trying to say.

Sierra Hall - Even when he started losing his strength, he still told his stories about playing music, including the Doc Turner band! He has played with so many musicians including Loretta! 

We never really got time, but he wanted to watch Coal Miners Daughter. He thought I had never watched it, but truthfully I had watched it a million times. 

The last time I had really seen him he was still talking about this one situation that I had done. One day I got into our big black truck and loaded up the trailer and went to get firewood. When I got home he was telling everyone how I went and got firewood. He found it so funny that I did that. 

There is this other memory that happened when I was in 5th or 6th grade. I had started working on a horse farm, and I always told him about the horses. One day he surprised me and stopped by the horse farm, he wanted to see what I did while I was there! 

He really did love us ! Bill was a perfectionist in everything he did, There was several times he would take over what I was doing to show me an easier way or “I wasn’t doing it right”.

He loved to mess with pup to make him bark or run the house like crazy. It really doesn’t feel like home without him here. There is just so many words spoken and memory’s that was lived. He will be missed. 
Love your granddaughter,
Sierra



Obituary of Billy Lee Wurts

Billy Lee Wurts, 83, of Webbville, KY passed away Thursday, October 28, 2021. Mr. Wurts was born August 15, 1938 in Harlan County, Kentucky to the late William Leo and Dorothy Green Wurts.

He is survived by one son, Billy (Christina) Wurts, Jr.; three granddaughters, Sierra Hall, Adrianna Hall, and Audrey Hall; one niece, Glenna Brickey; two nephews, Vaughn Henry, Harold Henry, and Neal Henry; and a Host of Friends & Other Relatives.                                          

He was a Janitor.

Friends may visit the family on Monday, November 1 from 10 am -12 pm at the Wilson Funeral Home. Burial will follow in the Peck Cemetery. All care has been entrusted to Wilson Funeral Home.

Photos and videos provided by the Wurts family
Story by TIM PRESTON 
Carter County Post