9/25/2019

Racing Recap: by GUNNER JOHNSON

A previously unpublished photo of a shaven Gunner Johnson.
Let's start it off on Friday night with S&S Motorsports Boogie Sammons and Jimmy Lennex Jr. at The New MRP.  They would be there to do battle in the B5 Sport Mod.
 Jimmy had a great car all night and would bring home the checked flag.

Jackie Boggs and the #4B team would be headed over to Atomic to try their luck. Jackie qualified 11th ran, 4th in the heat, and finished 2nd in the feature. Jackie said he had a good car and was trying out some new stuff. He said he wanted to thank everyone for all the help and support he really appreciates it.

Shane Bailey would find himself going to PRP and doing battle in the #1 Limited Late model. I spoke to Shane he said," We had a pretty good night, we wanted to try a few things before the big race next month. We had clutch problems all night, but a big thanks to my crew for getting me going. I was glad we could take part in the "Meet the Drivers Night" and see some fans. We were able to come home with a 4th place finish."

Flaugher Motorsports and Brian Sammons Jr. would also be at PRP with the #9F Rocket Modified. "With 54 mods showing up this was going to be interesting night," said Jeff Flaugher. Brian was able to make it into the feature, which is a awesome thing with that many cars on hand. They would end up finishing in 13th. 

AJ Hicks was at Richmond Raceway to try his luck again in the crate late model. AJ had a good car and ran well all night. He just wasn't able to get where he wanted to be. AJ would end up finishing in 3rd place. 

S&S Motorsports Boogie Sammons would be at Richmond Raceway with both cars- the #B5 Rocket Modified and #B5 Rocket Sport Mod. Jimmy Lennex Jr. would be on deck to drive both cars. The night would start off great for the team, winning the sport mod heat, and ending up in a pretty good starting position for the Modified feature. Jimmy would roll out for the Sport mod feature, would lead every lap of it, and bring home the win. Jimmy was running really good in the Modified feature and was gaining ground then got the break he was looking for. He went from 3rd to 1st, and he would go onto to win the Modified feature. This was Jimmy's first Modified win there at Richmond in this class. He had ran a lot of races there with a bunch of close races, but this was a special moment for him and his team. Jimmy Lennex Jr. wanted to thank his dad Jimmy Lennex and Boogie Sammons for all they do for him and to all his crew and wife.

I, Gunner Johnson #9F, would be back to Richmond Raceway Saturday with my car that had blown an engine a few weeks back. I was very excited about getting back into this car.

I absolutely love this car, and I feel my most comfortable in it over the other ones. My crew really put up with a lot this week and worked hard to help me get this car ready. I was really looking forward to getting back on the dirt.

We rolled out and qualified 2nd. I'd be on pole in the 2nd heat race. We made a couple of adjustments and were ready for the heat race. I'd go on to win the heat and start outside pole in the feature. We rolled out for feature, and my good friend and racing partner Allen "The Punisher" Hackworth would end up having to pull his #33 car in due to a fuel issue.

My car felt great. I was  trying a couple different things, then would end up finishing 2nd. I'm very thankful and blessed for it all. I really want to send out a special thanks to Kenny, Cody and my Dad for making this all happen. We'll be at Richmond Raceway this Saturday come join us for some good racing. #9F #nocommercials