10/11/2021

Survivors: Julia & Tony Collier

 

Julia Collier said she didn't deal with a lot of depression during her ongoing fight against breast cancer.
"Most of the time, I laughed instead of cried," she said.

"I cried more than I laughed," her husband Tony added -  who smiled often as Julia recalled the chapters in her, and their, story following a breast cancer diagnosis in February, 2019.

She punctuates with personal observations and humor, often anchored by the holidays associated with cancer-fighting procedures. 

It began when she noticed a tender and enlarged lymph node under her arm.

"It was really, really sore ... I was 45 years old at the time and I went to see Katrina Barker,' she said, noting she was aware of the local health care provider's personal experience with breast cancer, as well as a well-established trend of cancer on her own father's side of the family.

"I'd never had a mammogram before either. I got in a little bit of trouble for that," Collier said with a chuckle.

Chemotherapy soon followed, with four rounds of "Red Devil" and 10 of 12 doses of  Taxol, which was discontinued as Collier developed "extreme neuropathy" in her hands and feet. Hair loss was quick to follow.

"Oh my hair ... I would get handfuls out when I ran my fingers through it," she said, her facial expression momentarily reflecting the memory. 

"On Mother's Day we went to my mom's and she just buzzed my head," again smiling as she added family members including an uncle, brother and a nephew had their hair shaved to show their support.

Julia remembers her days working at local grocery stores, Ralph's and Big Value, as well as being a court security officer at the Carter County Justice Center and time as a teller at First National Bank. A certified firearms instructor and supporter of Second Amendment rights, she was also previously an absolute enthusiast when it was time to mow the lawn.

"I always mowed the grass before I got sick!"

All of that energy vanished following chemotherapy.

"I stayed tired all the time. All I did was sleep. I couldn't get enough sleep," she said.

She had been scheduled for mastectomy surgery (with expanders and reconstructive procedures) in October, but requested an earlier date if possible. 

"That's what I got for my birthday," she said, again giggling.

"And for Christmas I got my exchange with my implants. Merry Christmas to me!" she said, noting she also had a "fat grafting" operation as part of the process.

Radiation therapy was next, with appointments in Ashland five days a week with no interruptions. The toughest part, she said, was daily travel to Ashland for sessions which were completed in about 20 minutes. Otherwise, she managed well during her 25 treatments without any of the physical problems many patients contend with.

Tougher yet, Collier and her team decided to do a complete hysterectomy due to the fact her breast cancer was found to be estrogen fed. The hysterectomy drastically improved her chances of preventing a return of her cancer, she explained.

"There's been so much cancer on my dad's side of the family. I didn't want to take any chances on going through this again," she said, citing hard lessons learned from an aunt's medical decisions.

Thanks to Tony

Unable to do much of anything she was accustomed to while healing and dealing with her condition, Collier quickly credits her husband's dedication to the many tasks at hand, in addition to being a self-employed carpenter/cabinet maker.

"Tony was amazing. I would have never made it without Tony," she said, causing her husband to literally blush before joking he did little more than cook a few hamburgers while tending to daily duties at home and in the shop.

Coming Back

"My hair started coming back decently within a month of finishing the chemo  - it came back in a ugly mousey brown! So, I went blonde." 

Collier said she more recently decided to investigate options for her missing eyebrows and was moved to tears when Samantha Kitchen offered "microblading" (without charge) at Permanent Makeup by Samantha on Winchester Avenue in Ashland.

"I cried. I couldn't believe it," Collier commented as she raised her new eyebrows to display Kitchen's handiwork.

Her most recent doctor's appointment included an excellent prognosis, Collier reported, and she will take "The Five-Year Pill" daily until 2026.

"I still have some pain and numb feeling in my feet and hands but for the most part I'm doing really well."

A big boost in her spirits came along with the purchase of a pre-owned Jeep Wrangler Sport, which she instantly fell in love with.

"I always said I've got to have an automatic (transmission). As soon as I saw this one I said, 'I guess I'll have to learn to drive a standard!' "

Lessons Learned

Both Julia and Tony Collier have some advice to share as part of Breast Cancer Awareness Month.

"Get your mammogram when you are supposed to - don't wait," she summarized.

Tony said friends and family of breast cancer patients can be a tremendous help.

"Just be there for them. Don't let them feel like they are alone. And, ask people to pray for them," he said.

"Oh, I feel that's a lot of what got me through it - all the prayer and stuff," she added.

For the month of October, Sweet Life/Chocolate Factory Hand Dipped Ice Cream, at 603 East Main Street, Grayson, has teamed up with Goose Bridle Coffee Roasters of Grayson and is donating $1 from every large cup of their Goose Bridle "Bean to Cup" coffee to the American Cancer Society for Breast Cancer awareness.

(606) 475-0632





Story and Photos by TIM PRESTON
Carter County Post