10/04/2021

Quietly Roaring Back To Life: And yes, I tried to blame the dog


When you have a major event in your life, you tend to assume everyone knows about it - particularly when you lean toward sharing your entire story on social media.

That assumption is absolutely false, as proven by Carter County Sheriff Jeff May when I hobbled up next to him, relying on a cane and a "walking boot," during the 2021 Carter County Fair.

"What have you done to yourself?" the sheriff asked after I made the incredibly strenuous journey of 20-30 feet from my car to his vehicle.

"You didn't see the pictures?" I asked, somewhat stunned.
(Warning - these are gross images)

For those who don't know, "Mr. I've jumped out of airplanes, and wrestled 20-foot pythons" (yeah, that's me) broke the absolute daylights out of my right ankle on Memorial Day weekend. 

I have only foggy memories of what passed between then and Labor Day, 2021.

What really happened?

I've made up (fabricated/lied) several incredibly heroic stories about what happened - including, but not limited to, tales of a mama grizzly bear with cubs, a high-altitude-low-opening skydiving mission, and a violent encounter with an angry redhead.

Truth is, I stepped off a tiny step and fell down with my full weight on my ankle while twisting around and trying to catch myself.  Look up "spiral fracture" for more specifics.

Yes, I initially blamed the dog.

In the initial shock of the moment, I thought my dear friends' dog had somehow gotten behind me and caused me to fall. With much, much time to review the incident in my mind, I 
eventually determined the ghost-faced Golden Retriever may have actually saved my life.

Reviewing the scenario, I realized the dog yelped as my head hit her ribcage, and she essentially kept me from splattering my brains out on a concrete patio.

God knows I love dogs for a reason!

Credit to the crew

I did attempt to stand up before realizing how seriously I'd hurt myself, although that effort was instantly abandoned - both due to breathtaking pain and the sheer visual of my leg bent at an absolutely unnatural angle. 

We called 911 and I just laid there (Alys held my hand the entire time), until the ambulance arrived. 

By my experience, it takes a lot to surprise any Paramedic/EMT/First Responder, so I was a little worried when they both looked at my leg, grimaced in unison and basically said something like, "Oooooooooh, man. That may be the worst one ever!"

I was in good hands. 

Carter County EMS Supervisor/EMT Ronnie Wallace and Paramedic Steven Rigsby were absolute professionals. They actually had me laughing at two or three points during their initial evaluation. They've probably used those same jokes and observations a million times before, but it was amazingly effective. Before I knew it, we were in the ambulance and on our way to a hospital.

Things get a little fuzzier as we move along here

We were somewhere around the Kentucky/West Virginia border when the drugs began to really kick in.

If I remember it right, the ambulance crew made a decision to take me to St. Mary's Hospital in Huntington because they were having trouble finding a pulse in my foot.

Medications were administered along the way. I remember I was extra amused at myself for recognizing the state line by the amount of potholes suddenly encountered at that point on I-64. And, that's practically all I can recall.

Once at St. Mary's, I was again in good hands. I was particularly impressed by the hospital staff's approach to the job, and never once registered any level of the "That's not my job"/professional/political/hatefulness I've encountered at other area hospitals. Everyone who worked with me honestly seemed happy to be there.

The team took care of my surgery, kept me comfortable and went out of their way to make sure I had everything I needed once I got home. 

Weeks later

For some reason, I thought I'd be back up and around in a couple of weeks. In reality, I barely saw the sun for about eight weeks, and spent most of that time practicing "elevation and ice" therapy. 

I was completely unable to work and the entire experience left me "mushy" inside and out. My surgeon approved me to bear weight with the help of a "walking boot" and a cane just before the 2021 Carter County Fair began, and (like an idiot) I resolved to get out there and take a few photos.

I really didn't walk far, and had a fair board member standing by give me a ride anywhere, but my enthusiasm for taking photos of the "power wheels" races set me back and I had a seriously angry, inflamed and throbbing limb when I got home. I could barely get myself to the potty chair for days after.

H.E.L.P.

I'll wrap this one up with a personal salute and my appreciation of Eddie and Jean Adams and everyone who helps her run H.E.L.P. - which is short for Health Equipment Loan Program. 

The team delivered two walkers (one with wheels and one without), and a bedside toilet to our house. They even had a "knee scooter" on standby if I needed it. They came back and picked the stuff up once I was back on my feet.

H.E.L.P. is a non-profit organization born of the Adams' desire to help others, and the project has grown to the point they have equipment and supplies in every room of their home, as well as their garage and a rental space. For more information, or to help support the effort, visit their page on Facebook or 

Roaring Back?

Revisiting my coverage of this year's Carter County Fair, I found the press pass they made for me while I was scheming about how to get back to writing and photographing the local scene. This year's theme highlighted a most-excellent dinosaur show, which I can testify was as much fun for the adults as it was the children.

The "roaring back" theme also reflected organizers' efforts to again host an actual county fair after last year's event was cancelled due to Covid-19. The 2020 fair couldn't happen, but volunteers including local students pulled together and offered a series of "drive-in" movies at the fairgrounds near Grayson's city limits. 

It was the first chance many people ever had to experience a drive in movie, and my wife and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I know it took a lot of time and effort, but it was an outstanding way to help relieve some of that pandemic lockdown frustration. 

So, I'm quietly roaring back to life and taking a baby-steps approach to rebuilding myself. Let me know if you find a good story to chase as I get back to it.


Tim Preston - Community Journalist
Carter County Post