10/15/2020

Letter from the Grayson Area Chamber of Commerce President

“This year was one that no one could have prepared for or expected. I’ve tried my best to make the best out of every situation, and I am very proud of the Chamber’s teamwork that has allowed us to accomplish so much under a pandemic.  Our Executive Committee and Board of Directors made some hard decisions to protect against the coronavirus.  The hardest one was canceling our Memory Days celebration, and now we are canceling our Annual Banquet.  

“However, we still kept busy implementing new technology to make us more productive and efficient. We have conducted several meetings though Zoom video conferencing to stay on top of issues. Jill York spearheaded the creation of a new Chamber website.  Shadow Skaggs oversaw the installation of a new VoIP phone system that allows multiple members access to answer phone calls and respond to voice messages. Of course, our new Chamber Coordinator, McClain Dyer, worked with them to coordinate these projects, and, with these improvements, the Chamber is now more productive and  communications with our members more efficient than ever before. 

“Despite the pandemic and cancellations, I could not be more proud of what we have accomplished this year. It has always been my honor to lead this organization as President. We certainly faced challenges this year, but the Chamber rose to the occasion.

“I have to say that none of this would have been possible without the cooperation and effort by so many people committed to working together for our community. In addition to Jill, Shadow and McClain, I need to mention how much work Dan and Mindy Click put in this year. Dan led meetings in my absence and is forming a membership committee to find ways to better serve. Mindy attended and took minutes every meeting. Both made sacrifices to get us through this year, and I cherish their friendship.

“Don Combs has been an invaluable source of experience and knowledge, and I am so glad he is the Treasurer now. (Let me tell you, it’s the hardest job in the Chamber.) A special thanks to Shelly Boggs at Griffith & Delaney CPA for preparing our taxes and taking care of payroll. I know she is itching to get Memory Days back on track for next year!

I want to thank everyone for all their support during this year, and I look forward to leading our fine group into the future!”

Michelle Wilhoit, President, Grayson Area Chamber of Commerce