2/09/2020

What Is An Aesthetician?: Elisha Walker at Walking On Sunshine Wellness Spa & Shoppe


Elisha Walker was drawn to her career as an aesthetician early in life.
"I was not into hair but I loved skin care and makeup, so I researched jobs related to that," Walker said shortly after finishing a facial for a client at Walking On Sunshine Wellness Spa & Shoppe in Grayson, Kentucky.

Personal experience with teen acne helped forge her interest in skin care, Walker said, smiling as she added she loves to work with younger clients who may be facing similar issues. Those who seek her services, however, include clients of all ages and genders, she explained.

"I have more female clients, but I do have a lot of men too. If you have skin, you've got to take care of it. Skin cancer has no bias," Walker said.
Born and raised in Milton, West Virginia Walker now lives in the Leon community with her husband, Heath Walker, who is a 1999 graduate of East Carter High School, as well as "two kids, two dogs and a cat," and several bee hives.

"I'm a beekeeper! I love to be home. I love to be with my kids," she said when asked about off-duty pursuits. "When we're not working, we're home."

At Walking On Sunshine, Walker said her primary goal is to provide information and education along with an entirely pleasurable experience.

"My main job is to teach people how to care for their skin. How to keep it clean and cleaned out. I help a lot of clients deal with acne and hormonal related issues and try to give them options before they have to see a dermatologist. I teach preventative care. It's all about prevention. It really is," she said. 
Facials are among her most in-demand services. "It's relaxing and feels great - it is a huge self-care thing."

Practicing four days a week (Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday) at Walking On Sunshine, Walker's services range from a $5 lip waxing to an $85 facial with many options in between.

"Deep pore cleansing and extractions - I love them," she said. "Waxing is my favorite and I'll wax anything you've got - male or female."

Walker also provides services including body masks and scrubs, lash lifting "which is like a perm for your lashes," chemical peels and resurfacing for lines and pigment issues, as well as other options for clients who often travel considerable distances to Walking On Sunshine for services and products unavailable in cities including Ashland and Lexington.

For more information, or to schedule an appointment with Elisha Walker, visit Walking On Sunshine Wellness Spa & Shoppe's Facebook page, or call 606-225-7339. 
Story and Photos by TIM PRESTON