7/08/2019

Carter County Boys on top July 4 weekend- Race Recap

Thursday night, July 4th, Jackie Boggs ran at Portsmouth Raceway Park in the RW Rental & Supply Independence 50. Boggs finished 6th in the 1st heat, and finished 4th in the B main and started 12th in the feature.

Then after a few laps Boggs had to pull off. Jackie and his team traveled up to Thunder Valley in Salem Indiana on the 5th, to only get knock out of racing by mother nature.

So he traveled down to Brownstown, Indiana to do battle on the 6th in the Born Free 40/MARS race. There he Qualified 7th out of 22, finished 4th in his heat race, started 10th in feature and ended up with a 3rd place finish!

Shane Bailey went to Portsmouth Raceway Park on the 4th with his crate late model, and when asked about how their night went, he said, “it wasn’t the night we were looking for, just seemed to struggle to get traction all night”. Bailey finished 6th in the feature. Brain “Boogie” Sammons went to PRP ran his modified and won his B-main, but wasn’t the night he had been shooting for.

Brian Sammons Jr. of Olive Hill is the pilot of the Flaugher Motorsports Modified, and they went to The “New MRP” Moler Raceway Park on Friday night. He started on outside pole in heat 1 next to Jimmy Lennex Jr. and finished 3rd in the heat.  Sammons then finished off their night with a 9th place finish in the feature.

AJ Hicks went to Richmond Raceway on Saturday night. He had a good car and looked great on the track. He started the night off qualifying 3rd, and then finished 2nd in his heat race, and would go onto the feature where he ended up finishing 2nd. AJ commented to me that the night, “was not a win but was a good night.”

Gunner Johnson and 1414 the Kentuckian went to Richmond Raceway on the 6th to run in the mini stocks. Johnson qualified 2nd, finished 2nd in the heat then they had a redraw on the top 4.  I, Johnson, drew the pole position.

I started the feature with Brandon Creech #723 on the outside pole and had Allen Hackworth #33 in the roll right behind me. I was nervous but in a good way and my emotions was running wild, my heart rate was probably out of this world. I hadn’t started a race on pole since early last season at another track. This was my first time being on pole at Richmond Raceway. In my opinion the best of the best in my class are right there.

I had a good conversation with my good friend and fellow racer, Allen Hackworth Jr., before us going out. Hackworth Jr. & “Pit Daddy” Allen Hackworth Sr. came over to me, and they were excited for me. They could tell I was wired up!

Once that green flag dropped it was off, I fell to second place, and was dancing with Brandon Creech every lap I could get my bumper to his door! I could hear Allen knocking on my door and the adrenaline was running wild. I was focused on not drive myself out of the race, so I was trying to keep it together. This is a new car to me and I’m still not totally comfortable with it.

We would dance a great dance for 15 laps and we finished our night in 2nd place. It felt like winning the Daytona 500 to me! I’ve watched and followed behind these guys for 3 years, and to finally be up there doing door to door battle felt amazing.

I hope you’ve enjoyed your race recap!

-Gunner Johnson

#9F #nocommercials

Our thanks to MICHAEL BOGGS PHOTOGRAPHY for providing many of this week’s photos.

And a big THANK YOU to Bubba’s Towing and Recovery for sponsoring July’s weekly “Race Recap”.